15 November 2010

Thanksgiving plans!

This year will be the first Thanksgiving that the hubs and I have hosted together. I am really excited and not terribly nervous. My parents are coming up for it, so there really isn't a huge amount of pressure. On top of that, I've helped my mom out with several of the side dishes over the years, so I think the only thing to worry about is the turkey itself! :)

For our menu, we're opting for many of the typical things:

Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top
French-cut green beans
Glazed carrots
Broccoli casserole
Salad
Sourdough rolls and/or cheesy braided-bread wreath
[edited to add -- of all things, I cannot believe I forgot DESSERT!] Apple pie

I made the cheesy braided-bread wreath on Saturday for the football fiesta we went to and it was a success. After it came out of the oven, the hubby said that 1. our house smelled like Subway [the delish baked bread smell] and 2. that the bread looked "damn good." :) 

We're planning on brining our turkey and have Williams-Sonoma Apple + Spices turkey brine to help us out with the task. I think the brining is the part of all of this that I am most nervous about, but I know that it will be nothing short of delicious!  

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness... don't be nervous about the brining! It's super easy. We used a Williams-Sonoma brine last year and it was DELICIOUS! Just make sure not to buy a frozen turkey. I missed that memo last year (I realized it the night before), so I didn't brine as long as recommended because I was terrified it would be too salty (but it wasn't).

I'm brining my mom's turkey this year, but thought I would try the brine the PW posted not too long ago! :)

Lisa said...

Sounds like a great menu! I can't wait until we can host Thanksgiving someday, but I will definitely be asking my stepmom for cooking tips!

Have you posted the cheesy braided-bread wreath recipe? If so, I'll dig for it.

Samantha said...

Last year out turkey baked in one of those oven bags... and it was amazing! so moist and delicious!

gv said...

Good luck and be sure to take lots of pics! The menu sounds delish.

d.a.r. said...

Yum yum yum!! I hosted our Turkey day two years ago--just be organized, have a plan, and make as much the day before as possible!

Anonymous said...

So, I'm coming to your house for Thanksgiving! Just kidding! Sounds like you're right on track for cooking. And it all sounds delicious!

lmc said...

That looks like it will be fantastic!

I made a comment to husband yesterday that we should host thanksgiving next year. He didn't agree...he still just wants to show up somewhere and eat!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

It sounds like you've got a great menu planned!

Courtney said...

Ah, your Thanksgiving plans sound wounderful. And the menu looks delicious. I have never, EVER helped with a Thanksiving dinner. I think I might be in trouble pretty soon :)

Christy said...

LOVE the menu - yum!!! Sounds like you guys are going to have a great Thanksgiving!! Can't wait to hear (read) how it goes!! ;)

Unknown said...

Menu sounds awesome, especially the sourdough yumminess. I'm nervous about my turkey too, but your idea of Williams Sonoma brine sounds great.