As this year comes to a close, I've spent a good deal of time reflecting [from my hospital bed] about the things I expected to be doing and what has actually happened.
I mentioned awhile back [pre-hospital] that I had some things lined up in the coming weeks that I was super excited about. The hubs and I went to see OVO in Atlanta and it was fabulous.
I was so excited to take my parents over Thanksgiving weekend to see the Fantasy in Lights at Callaway Gardens. My husband and I had plans to go to the Nutcracker ballet in early December. Needless to say, neither of those things happened [but luckily the good folks at Groupon and Ticketmaster were kind enough to issue me full refunds considering my situation].
I was so excited to celebrate my first real Christmas with my husband. Have our first real tree, set up our decorations and host a holiday party for friends [I'm eternally thankful for our faux-Christmas last year, but it involved setting up a friend's tree, not our own].
It all seems so trivial in the grand scheme of things, but it is all stuff that I was really looking forward to. I've joked with my husband that when I hopefully get out of here, I will celebrate Christmas. I don't care if it is July.
Instead of planning for New Year's parties, I'm waiting for the doctors to tell me if/when I'll have a transplant.
Instead of planning for the move that we have coming up in March [yes, we're moving again, lol], I'm sitting back knowing that I will likely have no part in any of it as I will hopefully be recovering from my transplant.
When I focus on all of these things, it's easy to get into the sad, frustrated, dear-God-why-me?! attitude. Despite having been regularly upbeat about my situation, it has still been a roller coaster and I'd be lying if it didn't suck, and suck big time. Being a type-A person, it is really hard to go from utter control of my life to having little control over what is going on.
I do my best to focus on the positive though, because really, there isn't any other way. The procedures and risks and potential side-effects scare the beejezus out of me, but that doesn't mean they go away. I also try to play an active role in my care -- I ask plenty of questions and share my opinion [respectfully, of course] with my nurses and doctors.
When I find it hard to focus on the positive, I need not look very far. My mom has turned my bathroom door into a giant Christmas tree of cards that I've received. I have had friends and family visit, care packages sent from all over, books from my wishlist sent since I can't receive flowers, and the support has simply blown me away. Because of that, it is easy for me to see past the shitty situation I find myself in and realize I am so, so incredibly lucky.
Thank you all for your continued love, prayers, thoughts and support -- you all never cease to amaze me in your generosity. I wish you all a happy and healthy[!] new year.








18 comments:
Lola, you are such a fighter and an inspiration!! When you get out of there, cupcakes, queso and margaritas are on me! (even though you're moving to the wrong post! :) )
Where you all headed to next??
I still can't imagine all that you're going through - and still keeping a great attitude! I hope that 2011 turns out to be a great year for you! My prayers are with you!
You're a rock star! I am using your positivity both now and while your husband was gone as so much inspiration for my next few months as hubby is away training. I too wish you could be here to distract me, but I will just have to call you up or something!
What a year, you are amazing! Keep up the positive attitude. 2011 has good things in store for you. Big New Years Eve hug to you!
We just signed up for the 5 Points of Life 5K (that encourages Bone Marrow donations among other things) here in Gainesville in February. Not only did you challenge me to get off my butt and run (a 5K will be the longest I've ever run) but when I found out what the 5 Points of life stood for, I knew I had to run!
I've been on the marrow registry since last Spring and if there was a way I could say "Hey, give L mine" I would in a heartbeat!
Jane McNulty sends her love and I want you to know that you're in all of our thoughts!
Go Gators!
I know this year wasn't what you expected, but I am amazed at how positive you are in spite of it.
Also...will you send me an address to send you some stuff? I'd like to send a little care package from Italy. You can just e-mail it to this address: newgirlonpost@live.com
Ugh, I am so sorry that you're going through all of this. It's hard to give up things you want to do and experience, especially when it's due to health reasons :-( I'm thinking of you and praying for you, and I completely agree that when you get out of the hospital, you need to do a full-blown Christmas celebration!
Hang in there! You're clearly staying tough and keeping a positive attitude. I can't wait to hear about your holidays SOON!
Prayers for you to have a healthy 2011! Where ya moving to?
Lola, you are so amazing! I can't imagine that after all that time in the hospital I would be as cheerful and optimistic as you are.
I've been thinking of you a lot lately, and if there's anything I can help with, please send me an email. Praying for a transplant for you, so that you can begin your recovery soon!
Looking forward to hearing more about your upcoming move-- Pacific Northwest, perhaps? ;)
I continue to be amazed by your strength and your ability to keep your chin up! I can't imagine how hard it is to go through all of this, especially over the holidays! Many positive thoughts and prayers coming your way, girl!
You are seriously just so amazing. I know that this cannot be easy and it has to be awfully scary. But you are handling it with such grace that I cannot help but admire you. I hope that 2011 brings health and happiness!
your positive spirt astounds me everyday and i know 2011 will be better for you!
Your strength amazes me :)
Someties I question how someone so amazing can be given something so challenging. You have done an awesome job with keeping positive and looking towards the future.
I need a phone date soon. I so miss you!!!
Omg I had NO idea you were blogging again and I just "EEKED" outloud in my office!!!
I'm so glad I get to catch up.
Lola I just wanted to come in and check on you, it's been a few weeks.
Hugs
B
Start planning that Christmas tree lady!!
Post a Comment