I preface the good news with some other news first.
Having to have a bone marrow transplant is a huge, long battle.
Chemo. Radiation. Transplant. Potential rejection. Lots of drugs and medication. Long hospital stays. Potential of not being able to have my own biological children. [We're looking at Lupron to help protect my ovaries through chemo.. fingers crossed!]
You know, easy stuff. Hah. ;)
The doctors also informed me last week that I do not have aplastic anemia. I have acquired Trisomy 8 -- which causes MDS [myelodysplastic syndrome]. MDS used to be more commonly known as "pre-leukemia" so that is an added potential complicating factor. Luckily, Trisomy 8 is only a "moderate" risk factor for leukemia, so they're hoping to be able to get me to transplant before that switch could even occur.
Luckily, it is an acquired genetic disorder -- i.e. somewhere in my lifetime, my chromosomes messed up and have compounded into this condition. If I get through all of this and am able to bear children, I will not pass this disorder onto my kids because it is not an inherited disorder. Yay! :)
I've also started and subsequently completed the big part of my immunosuppression -- the ATG infusions. Basically, the ATG attacks my T-cells [suppressing my white blood counts, yuck] with the hopes of allowing my marrow to do some work of it's own and reduce the number of transfusions that I need between now and transplant. I maintain the suppression with a twice-daily dose of cyclosporin. Keep your fingers crossed that I respond because the fewer transfusions I need, the better! :)
As for the GOOD NEWS?!
My doctors informed me that having run my HLA typing in the National Marrow Donor Registry, I have 106 preliminary matches!
They've sent the information to the national people, and they're going to track down my best, best matches. At that point, they get in touch with them for blood work and to see if they're available for donation. Needless to say, I burst into tears when they told me the news. :)
As I said before, it's going to be a long road, but this was a big positive that I definitely needed!








19 comments:
Yay! That is WONDERFUL news :-) So happy for you!
That is great news, I broke into tears reading that. I'm praying for you and your family.
That is great news!!! I have faith that you with all those matches, you will find someone to donate!
Well that is wonderful that you've got so many potential matches!!! It sounds like you're in good spirits and that's great!!!
I'm not sure how I have missed all this, but I just want you to know I'm praying for you! Your good news sounds like great news to me!
That's great to hear! Glad you are staying positive. I'll continue to send good vibes your way.
I just caught up on this post and the last and I have to say, wow! That's REALLY good news! I can't believe everything you're going through, but thank you so much for sharing it with all of us... it really makes me think twice about the smaller, insignificant things that we sometimes let get the best of us. You're strong and beautiful, and you're doing great!!
hopefully you will have a for sure match just in time for christmas!
That is great news! What a wonderfully upbeat attitude you have...that will most definitely help speed up your recovery! Prayers and thoughts always with you!
Wonderful news that you have so many potential matches. I'm praying for you!
That's a ton of matches-great news! As for the lupron shots, they really aren't that bad. I just finished up a month of them for our IVF so feel free to ask any questions you might have about it. Good luck girl! Praying for you.
Even with your prelim-matches I'm still going to get tested! I'm so glad that they have so many to go off of, seems like good odds (given the situation) to me....!
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys on the baby-front!!
Great news! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your hubby. You're such a strong woman to go through this so bravely.
Lola--*such* good news! Thanks for sharing it with us. Thinking of you and praying for you.
I am so proud of you Laura for everything you do and how strong you are keeping yourself.
You are just amazing...the end.
That's great news! I'm so sorry that you're facing the battles you are, but I'll keep praying that the odds are in your favor. In the meantime, I hope that you get to enjoy the holidays with your family, despite all the challenges.
Wow! Such great news! It sounds like it's going to be a tough road ahead, but I'm glad that you have such positive news!
Been thinking about you!
I'm just getting to see this WONDERFUL news, and all I can say is YAY YAY YAY! So glad to read this. Lots of good vibes and prayers your way. I look forward to more good news. Thanks for sharing!
I have been a follower for awhile but I haven't kept up, I just read this and what great news! I just recently sent away for my cheek swab kit in order to be added to the bone marrow donation program and I hope someday to be able to help someone!
Post a Comment