06 December 2010

on war and health

When my husband came home from Afghanistan last year [wow, I cannot believe he's been home a few days shy of a year already] I asked him how he thought he had changed. One of the first things he mentioned was that he had new perspective on what really mattered in life -- if you aren't bleeding to death, losing limbs or otherwise dying -- things were ok. 

From time to time, the attitude infuriated me. I would be upset about something and I would want him to be riled up about it too and he just wouldn't. I would want him to join me in my frustration and/or commiserate with me, but instead he would push me towards a solution. If I wasn't ready to take action towards a solution -- read: I wanted to throw myself a bit of a pity party -- I shouldn't expect him to come to my rescue. 

I've grown accustomed to it, and in all reality it has made me much more action-oriented and active in working out a solution. It has made me more independent and stronger, but it is still a tough pill to swallow from time to time. 

Now that I've been in the hospital for three weeks as of tomorrow night, it is all the more hammered home. I've done my best to not take things for granted, but this experience has been humbling in more ways than one.

I have had to face my own mortality -- last Friday I was diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia. It is an autoimmune disorder where my own cells are attacking my bone marrow and have caused it to fail. A normal female of my age has marrow with 75% cellularity. Mine is 2%. 

If I hadn't come into the hospital on November 19th, I would have died -- according to the nurses either by brain hemorrhage or stroke. 

If I do not get a bone marrow transplant, I will eventually die from complications of the disease. 

My husband has been my rock throughout all of this, especially since this falls into his bleeding/loss of limbs/life category! :) He has reminded me that while this all is super scary, people die crossing the street every day and you aren't always lucky enough to be able to fix that. 

I have an option -- a fix -- transplant. 

While it will involve months of hospitalization and treatment, there is an 85% success rate [as long as they find a donor match]. I try my best to focus on that number, and not the fact that there is a 15% chance of death throughout the chemotherapy/transplant/graft-vs-host disease process. 

The outpouring of support I've received has been tremendous and overwhelming [in a positive way!] and I feel so fortunate to have so many people in different areas of my life reaching out and helping me to stay positive through all of this. 

I leave you all with one request tonight [aside from thoughts and prayers.. man, I'm getting greedy!] -- to potentially save my life or someone else's -- by becoming a bone marrow donor through the National Marrow Donor Program at BeTheMatch.org. If you have any questions about the process [I've had my marrow sampled three times now, woo], please feel free to check out the site or email me at notallthosewhowander [at] gmail [dot] com. 

As always, thank you for all of your love and support. 

30 comments:

Hannah said...

I had been worrying about you a lot lately and I'm glad to know that you're surrounded by love and family. I applied to BeTheMatch earlier this summer and I hope that I get to help someone sometime soon.

<3 you and keeping you in my thoughts

Brandi said...

I can't believe it's been a year already! But I can, I mean I followed you through that whole year and came back after you let off of private (oh how I missed you during that time).

I am thinking about you and while I've thought about being a donor before seeing you and watching you battle this makes me know I HAVE to become one. It's simple enough for us to try and why aren't we when there are people out there who need us, people like you.

I'm thinking about you sunshine.

Stay as strong as we know you are.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear that. I have been worried about you and praying for you. I will continue to keep praying for a speedy recovery and that they find you a match quickly. Please let me know if I can do anything for you!

zoo keeper said...

keep fighting the fight!!
you can do this!

Lisa said...

I'm SO glad that you have a diagnosis, although a scary one. I will definitely be signing up to be a marrow donor!

And I know what you mean about the attitude your husband had since he came home from Afghanistan. P has had that same attitude, and it can be infuriating, but yet, it makes so much sense.

Thinking of you and praying they find you a match!

kd said...

We are both on the donor list; I hope we can help someone someday!

I'm glad you are staying positive in the face of incredibly scary news. The great thing is you are at one of the best hospitals in the world. I am sure that you will find a donor soon and it will be successful. You were otherwise healthy, so I know you will have the best possible outcome.

Hang in there, gorgeous!!

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

I am so, so sorry about this. I've been thinking about you and your family - my heart goes out to all of you! I have to say, I'm really impressed with your attitude. You seem to be pretty upbeat about this whole thing.

Would it be OK if I posted about this on my blog and encouraged others to register for the National Bone Marrow Registry? I was able to register at my hospital, and it's so easy to do - I don't think people realize that. If you'd rather I not, that's fine, too :-) You'll be in my prayers!

Kate said...

I most definitely have a Lola-shaped hole in my life since you went to the hospital - but I am SO GLAD you did, considering what was going on. I'm also glad you have such an amazing rock in your husband, it sounds like he has been a support system above and beyond what could ever be expected.

You know you are always in my thoughts and prayers! <3

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You're in my prayers and I hope you continue to lean on that rock of a husband of yours throughout your journey back to full health.

Mrs. F said...

So sorry to hear this, but glad you have a loving and supportive husband! I'm keeping you in my thoughts. Stay positive!

Jayme said...

This really puts things into perspective, and I will think of you and your husband the next time I want to throw myself a pity party over something insignificant. You are in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lola, you are in my thoughts and prayers!! I think about you often and hope that everything is going well. Please keep us updated! We miss you at weekly lunches. :(

Megan said...

You know you're in my prayers!

Also, I'm so glad you decided to go to the hospital when you did. How incredibly scary if you had chosen to wait.

My fingers are crossed that you find a donor soon!

Samantha said...

Oh lola you know where I'll be and what I'll e doing a soon a I get my barings in Germany!!!

Erin said...

Thinking about you! You are doing an amazing job of keeping your chin up during this incredibly tough time!

Steph said...

I love your positive attitude and wish you nothing but the best. I will look into the donation process. Thinking of you Lola!

Courtney said...

You are amazing. I was in tears reading this. Still thinking and praying for you!

And I use to think the same thing about my husband when he came home...nothing got to him and it frustrated me! And like you said, I'm learning to see the big picture.

XOXOXOXOXO

Brittany Ann said...

Oh my heavens! I am so sorry you're going through this! The hubs and I are already donors, and I am hoping and praying you get your transplant soon!

gv said...

Thinking of you and hoping everything works out!

Anonymous said...

This is the second time this year I've seen something come up about matching. It's practically convinced me to go do it.
Praying for you, fellow SEC football fanatic.

hmb said...

Keep on truckin' Lolagirl!! Thinking of you everyday!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I'm a donor! I'm wishing you all the best and nothing but good thoughts!

d.a.r. said...

You are so amazing. Seriously.

You motivated me to finally sign up! Hopefully I can give someone a chance :)

Anonymous said...

My husband and I just registered for a marrow donor program a couple of months ago, and his official card just arrived yesterday. (Still waiting for mine.) We did the Caitlin Raymond International Registry (www.crir.org). Is that related to the organization you posted? Hope you feel better soon. christine

Abbie said...

Always thinking about you Lola and sending prayers your way. It sounds like your husband is really helping to keep your thoughts positive and focused on your recovery. Hang in there...you've got a lot of people rooting for you.

TJ said...

You are one amazing woman! SO glad to know you and have you in my life :)

I registered today!

Post Tenebras Lux said...

Oh, Lola. I'm so very sorry. I do pray for you, and for a match, and a successful transplant.

Amber said...

Your strength and Attitude has alway been something I've admired. I have been meaning to comment since I read this days ago but nothing I came up with was coming out the way I wanted.

I will get on the registry soon, I've been wanting to for years and I don't know why I've been dragging my feet.

You and your family are constantly in my thoughts and prayers.

jlc said...

85% I love you!!!

And yes, people can die walking outside or driving home from work.... I'm reminded that all the time with the crazy turnpike in New Jersey!!! Sam once said that New Jersey was a more dangerous place to live in than Iraq!


You are so strong you have no idea how much I am humbled by your positive energy. You are an inspiration to all my bad days. I've been suffering from mild depression lately and I wish I could be the woman that you are...


You. are. amazing.

Praying for you always.... so glad you have someone like Matt there for you.... he's right... Sam says this to me all the time : "Jen, if no one is in real fatal danger of dying or bleeding to death, etc... then we are OK."



You are okay. You have doctors there for you and thank goodness you went into the hospital on November 19th!!!

It's meant to be that you are at an Army hospital with such amazing care. Finding Matt was also finding your angel.

5 Miles Past Empty said...

Wow, my thoughts are with you. I am checking into the National Marrow Donor Program TONIGHT!!!

I too am an Army wife and I have heard the exact thing your hubby said (about not bleeding to death, not losing limbs or otherwise dying perspective) from my hubby. You, YOU, have now put that into perspective for me. I have been trying for three years to truly understand and now you have shown me. So thank you.

You are so positive and strong. Don't lose that outlook!