28 October 2010

Army 10 Miler Race Recap -- I survived!

Now that I'm back home and have access to the interwebz, I wanted to recap the run on Sunday and share a few photos! :)

First and foremost, I survived. I did much better than I expected considering training [or lack thereof!] and craptastic runs in the weeks prior. I had a fabulous time with the girls on the course as well. 

As I mentioned last week, I had a sneaking suspicion that this year was going to feel a hell of a lot different than the race last year. I managed to not cry during the race, but I did get a bit misty during the National Anthem and at the end of the race. 

pit stop for photos at Mile 5

and again at Mile 7

One thing that I brought along this year that I hadn't last year was something quite special. Before I packed up for DC, I grabbed the 10th Mountain Division patch that my husband wore during last year's deployment. I wanted to carry it with me as a reminder of what my husband [and I!] went through last year. 

with my finisher coin and both patches

In keeping with that, I brought a second 10th Mountain patch with me. This second patch went with me on the race as well [both were safely tucked into my sports bra -- thank goodness they didn't chafe me!] and had a different destination. After the race, the girls and I headed to Arlington National Cemetery and when I went to visit my husband's soldier that is buried there, I left the patch with him. Carrying it with me was a constant reminder of the sacrifice so many have made.

At the finish, I pulled both patches out and held it proudly as I crossed the finish line. 

me and Jules

still smiling

I think I'm going to order these :) And for our post-race photo shoot?

10 Miles baby!

Army 10 Miler, I'll see you again next year. 

8 comments:

hmb said...

the professional ones of you finishing are really great!!

The Mrs. in Stilettos said...

So proud of you!!! I'm glad that you did better than you thought you would! The story about the patches made me tear up a bit! That was very sweet of you and very thoughtful!

Nicole said...

What a great accomplishment! Love the photos!

lmc said...

Leaving the patch at Arlington is one of the most thoughtful things I've heard of in a long time...go Lola :)

And woo hoo on the race!

gv said...

Great race report! I love it and the whole patches thing too. Awesome run Lola!

Pink Champagne, Gatorade, and MRE's said...

i totally almost cried when you told me why you were carrying that patch at the finish! I had a blast with you ladies :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Yay! Congrats!! The race photos are great!

Anonymous said...

congrats!! I like all the pictures :)