18 October 2010

well, it's official..

... I'm just slow and a little bit chubby.

hahah

It all started last month. I blogged about going to my annual lady bits exam and starting a new birth control pill. I'm always a bit paranoid about starting a new pill and whether or not it will be just as awesome at keeping me sans fetus as the last method of birth control I was on [Levora, NuvaRing, Yasmin, etc]. 

Well, last week I officially freaked out. Yes, I was on my period. Yes, it was different than "normal." Rational Lola would have said "oh, new birth control. Different kind of period." Oh-my-God-everyone-I-know-is-pregnant Lola thinks "OHMYGOD I AM PREGNANT."

I take a pregnancy test. It is negative. Granted, it was one that made the move with us and may or may not have baked in my car for two days [in heat that managed to melt several candles]. Because of that, again, I doubt the validity of the test.

Then, as I'm volunteering at one of the offices on post, I was chatting with a lady who recently gave birth. She had mentioned running and also the Disney Princess Half-Marathon. Then she says "oh yes, I couldn't figure out why I was running so slowly. It was just awful. Then I found out I was pregnant and it all made sense!"

I start to go over a quick list in my brain:

-  I'm running much slower than normal. Yes I took time off, but I've also run intervals and used other speed-boosting training sessions with little improvement. 

- I'm not losing weight with my running sessions as I normally do. [ahem, poor diet, cough cough]

- I'm registered to run the Disney Princess Half-Marathon. [clearly the coincidence means I am pregnant]

- Oh. My. God.

The oh-my-God-everyone-I-know-is-pregnant Lola officially goes into DEFCON 5 freakout mode after she mentions that she had also had her "period" a couple of times in there too.

After much ado and freaking out, I bit the bullet and bought a new set of pee sticks. 

I found out that I'm just slow and chubby.

And surprisingly, I have kind of mixed feelings about it..

25 comments:

Aubrey S. said...

LOL! When it happens, don't freak out too much.

lmc said...

That sounds exactly like something that would go through my head (like the fact my period didn't start Friday morning like I thought it should so I though for sure I must have gotten knocked up over R&R. It came that night...thankgod!)

hmb said...

You'll be a great mom! When it happens of course :)

Anonymous said...

Aw! :\ Yeah, birth control pills and I...we had a short-lived battle for a few months. I never wanted to be on one to begin with, but thought I'd "bite the bullet" and try one...two...three different kinds out. I haaaaated them...and, well, now I'm pregnant. No idea what I'll do once the baby is born, but a baby shortly after a baby isn't cute, so I will have some researching and testing to do here in a few months. Sigh.

The Mrs. in Stilettos said...

I know what you mean by the slight mixed feelings about the test result... I was in that place before I got pregnant with my first! As far as chubby and slow... I find either hard to believe lol! Maybe you are more ready for mommyhood than you think ;) I have to admit that I will really enjoy reading your blogs once mommyhood happens for you! So, I want to start running (which I have never been much of one and the idea of a mile is daunting right now) and I want some of your tips to get me started and not want to jab my eyes out with a sharp object lol!

Anonymous said...

I don't know Lola, i think i see a faint 2nd line in there... haha jk. Damn! Kinda wish you were pregnant so we can be slow together. And, I think you look great... the only slow and chubby preggo one around here is me. :-\

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

For a second I was like Oh my gosh!!! Well at you least you know for sure know that you don't have a bun in the oven.

Amber said...

congratulation on being slow and chubby!!

I took 2 tests in the 4 years of my marriage before we had Teagan and they were both negative and while I wasn't ready either time I found myself really sad about it. The mixed feelings are totally natural.

Lisa said...

Haha my first thought when I saw the title (without reading the first few lines was "is she pregnant?" LOL

Mixed feelings are completely understandable, and the slow and chubby is too. I'm feeling that way lately too, despite working out at CF three times a week.

Anonymous said...

LOL... this made me laugh! I remember freaking out the first time I thought we were pregnant like a year or so ago... it's a weird mind game for sure! Now that we want to get pregnant FOR SURE I can't wait to have that crazy feeling again!

Well glad everything worked out, I doubt you are THAT slow or chubby!

Steph said...

Holy cow! I thought you were pregnant for a second.

gv said...

This was super confusing! At first I thought you were, then I thought you weren't, then I thought you were...so just to confirm-you're not? Whew!

TASS said...

Funny!!! I was felling super weird and not losing weight like normal too last year! On Halloween...I found out that I was 6 weeks prego. had my son in June! Good luck with you mixed feelings...bc it happens and happens fast! ready or not.....here the sickness comes ;) I hope you get what you want either way!

Smiling is Good for Your Teeth said...

I am your newest follower! I can only imagine that train of thought that you went through!

Have a great day!
http://latache-t.blogspot.com

Samantha said...

I know the feeling lady.. I had a DEFCON 5 freak out last month myself and was surprisingly torn over the outcome. It'll happen when it's supposed to though- that's what I keep telling myself, last month wasn't the right time for me and now isn't the right time for you! =}

d.a.r. said...

Omg haha, I kept reading this thinking there was a catch or some kind of trick and you really WERE pregnant! I had this same kind of flip out last fall---and was surprised by how disappointed I was in the negative test.

Unknown said...

LOL! I thought you were preggo! Good twist there at the end though:p We had a moment just like this 3 months ago where I SERIOUSLY thought I was preggo. I was having the nausea, weird smells bit, EXTREME tired spells and the list could go on! I was so sure I was preggo that I went and got a blood test! I hate needles, so for me to do that, you know I was convinced:p I found out the next day that I wasn't and I cried...Shocked the crap outta me! I wasn't ready for the disappointment nor did I think I would be, but good to know that I am not the only one:) Your going to be a great mom, when its time! FYI, I'm slow too but thats okay because I enjoy it more that way:p

Anonymous said...

Girl, you have no idea what you just put my heart through. I would cry if *all* of my bloggy friends got pregnant. I'm definitely feeling like the minority these days! :) But, seriously. I saw the title and I saw a teeny little picture of a pregnancy test, but I couldn't see the lines. So, I like took a couple of deep breaths before I opened this post... and then I had to read it over again just to make sure you *weren't* pregnant! Haha oh my.

I thought I might be pregnant once while we were in NY. I was having really bad nausea and my period was so light it was almost not there. So we bought a test and there were definitely some mixed feelings from me afterward. And, I think that's about the time my baby fever started. :)

Erin said...

When I looked at this post and saw the picture my immediate thought was "OMG You too!!!" Seriously pregnancy seems to be contagious these days! I definitely find myself having mixed feelings when I convince myself I must be accidentally pregnant and find out I am not.

Kate said...

1) You make me laugh.

2) The mixed feelings are somewhat surprising, but it makes sense that they're normal.

3) You know me, and I'm not pregnant! So you know, just another person in the club. :-)

Abbie said...

This is an adorable post Lola! I was laughing the entire time but I have to admit...I was a tiny bit bummed when I realized that the test was negative!

On the plus side, we can be slow and chubby together:)

beth @ {expeditionaryfamily} said...

you're hilarious! i'm sure you're neither slow nor chubby.

Pink Champagne, Gatorade, and MRE's said...

haha i would have prob thrown up the flares too! and your still faster than me :P

trooppetrie said...

have you ever seen that movie, I didn't know i was pregnant. I always think what if I am pregnant and did not know it

corkyshell said...

So I am a blog airhead and totally forgot you moved blogs, lol!

But you are NOT slow or chubby! I think we all go through that slow/not losing weight. Not to mention when I moved "South" I swear I thought I was the slowest person on the planet, so I blamed it officially on the warmer temps :)

Have fun in DC and best of luck on the run, I know you will do great!