Today I had planned to write about my crafty and oh-so-awesome pillow making. And then I woke up and remembered it is October 1st. Today and July 20th are the two days that really ground me and refocus my thinking on what it really means to have a bad day.
I can be hard on myself and on friends -- I prefer to call it tough love -- because I'm not afraid to remind myself and others of how good they really have it in light of what others have gone through.
One year ago today was one of the worst days imaginable for two of our good friends. In one instant, their best friend was killed. Their other two best friends wounded -- one so critically that he was in a coma for three months.
SGT Rob Sanchez was 24. He was on his fifth deployment with 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment. He was killed one year ago today by an IED.
SSG Cory Remsburg is 26. He was on his tenth [yes, you read tenth correctly.. 10] deployment since 9/11 with 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment when the aforementioned IED detonated and tossed him into a nearby ditch. He spent two weeks at Landstuhl before being stabilized enough to be sent to Bethesda Naval Hospital and then to James Haley in Tampa, FL. He has been recognized by Eric Shinseki here and President Obama here, just to name a few. He has made incredible progress, but he continues on his fight every single day.
I urge you to not only think of these two men [and their friends and family who are having an especially difficult day today] today, but also to remember that they are just a few of the thousands who have either given the ultimate sacrifice or continue to fight in their recovery.
Each servicemember has a story. Has a family. Has friends. Each of them deserve to be remembered -- not only for what they stood for, but also who they are.








4 comments:
I posted a similar post this morning. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for sharing this. I think it's a good thing to carry these things with us to remind ourselves that no matter what BS we've got going on, there's always a worse day to have.
Thank you for sharing their stories! We have a day exactly like this one in May. It brings me back to reality every single year.
Yes.
Post a Comment