05 October 2010

I will never take another month off from running.

I swear. Running isn't something you can break up with for a month, start up again and then not feel like dying every step of the way.

Ugh. 

After giving up on my plans of the Marine Corps Marathon this year because I was starting to loathe running, I took a month off. I slowly started back last month. Things were going well [albeit much, MUCH slower than before] and then I got sick. Another week off, and now I'm back into it. And it seems to suck even more. 

I ran 6.13 miles this morning and it took everything in me to not walk off the track and drive home and wallow in a marathon of Law & Order: SVU and eat Ghiradelli chocolate chips.

SIGH. 

I ended up doing my dreaded run-walk-run-walk bit and I eventually got through it. I think that's what I should celebrate -- sucking it up and pushing on, but I'll be damned if it wasn't freaking difficult. 

I took a couple of weeks off last year and I remember not having these issues. I guess that's the difference between weeks and a month, but there isn't much I can do about it now, well, except for not giving up running next time around! :)

10 comments:

JB said...

I feel your pain!! You should be proud that you did the 6 miles though! Next time you want to watch SVU, I'm your girl. I have most of the seasons and have seen every single episode. It's one of my favorite shows. So if you ever want a SVU date let me know! :)

This American Wife said...

At least you did your run. I actually sat at home and watched the SVU marathon that was on today. UGH Not feeling great about it now...

Mrs. F said...

I am so dreading hitting the gym once my Orthopedic gives me the OK. I was on a heavy rotation of swim, cardio, weights and yoga and have done NOTHING for nearly 5 weeks since I broke my foot. Yikes!

Samantha said...

you could always adopt my theory of running being for when one is being chased.

gv said...

We like to call the dreaded "run-walk-run-walk" a leap frog approach...sounds much more technical and fun!

Jen said...

I hear ya!! I have a 5k next month and I am totally slacking.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Running is an ex that I don't ever feel like seeing again. Good luck next time!

Anonymous said...

you'll get back to where you were.. dont worry

d.a.r. said...

Ahhh I hate hate hate that feeling. I just get so freaking mad at myself for losing so much of my fitness!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Have you ever checked out the CrossFit Endurance website? You might like it.

http://www.crossfitendurance.com/

Of course, I am a big advocate of CrossFit but if you enjoy running (I don't) or are training for a marathon, etc. this is a great resource.