08 October 2010

planning a football fiesta

After much waffling back and forth about going to see the hubby's mom this weekend, we decided against it. He has some important stuff going on next week in class and didn't feel like he could spare the double-digit hours of travel time and additional family time involved in making the trip. 

Because we will now be here this weekend, we're putting together a football fiesta to watch the UF vs LSU game with a few of our closest Gator fan friends and some out-of-town visitors that have just arrived. Planning and putting together a party for about... 10-ish people is a little overwhelming, especially considering we decided to do this last night around 9:30pm!

Since the weather has turned chilly [waiiiit for it --] I have been lusting over making CHILI! 

Ahaha, I crack myself up. 

I'm going to my tried-and-true most favorite chili recipe ever -- Brown Eyed Baker's Thick & Hearty Chili. I'm probably going to 1.5x the recipe, because frankly, it isn't ever a tragedy to have too much chili. I might add some cornbread in here to go with the chili. Hrrm. Anyone have a delicious cornbread recipe?

As for appetizers, I'm going with my usual favorites -- Jalapeno Popper Dip and my faaavorite guacamole. Both are served with chips and quite fabulous.

And because I'm PMSing [ok, that is NO excuse, I ALWAYS want something sweet] it is Saturday, I am making Martha Stewart's pumpkin cupcakes. Her recipe there is slightly different than the one in her cupcakes book, but I'm sure they're just as delicious. I'm going to top them with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting. Drool. 

With the game starting at 7:30pm, I'm hoping this will be enough food for the evening. I know a few people will be bringing dishes of their own, and beverages to boot. I have to pick up some hard cider (yum!) and beer of our own when I go out and tackle our monstrous shopping list! 

Here's hoping the Gators have an AWESOME game this weekend!

7 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh oh oh! I'm making Slow Cooker Jambalaya for our tailgate and I'm thinking of cornbread... but I was going to be lazy and make the box. And this chili looks amazing!

Samantha said...

I want pumpkin cupcakes! Good luck with you're shin-dig for 10+! Thanks... i'm now lusting after Chili also.

Anonymous said...

You must be in my head, I have chicken & vegetable soup on the stove, and pumpkin cupcakes on the agenda for today too!

Of course it would be in the upper 80s/90's this weekend...

Anonymous said...

oh, and I love Brown-Eyed Baker, I'm actually using her cupcake recipe.

Kate said...

Sounds super fun! And pumpkin cupcakes with brown sugar cream cheese frosting... yum yum.

We're having two people over tonight, for Thai curry, plus I made a peanut sauce for veggies as an appetizer! I love having people over but it can get hectic to prepare for it!

Hope the Gators do well for you. :-)

hmb said...

Fall+friends+food=great times!

gv said...

Let me be honest, I didn't read anything after Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting...YUM!!! Wish you lived closer because we have a TON of jalapenos we just picked from our garden. Have fun!