15 September 2010

the annual lady bits appointment

Yesterday, I went in for my annual lady bits exam, or as they like to call it, the "well-woman exam." As it turns out, I'm "old" and there's a perk to that.

You know how you reach a certain age and your car insurance rates drop because they assume you're no longer a reckless teenager behind the wheel?

Apparently, per the ACOG, if you're 26 and not reckless with your lady bits (read: in a monogamous relationship) with no abnormal pap smears, you only have to be poked and prodded once every two years! Consider it a sort of "good driver" discount. ;)

Who was two thumbs and didn't have to get prodded yesterday? This girl!

WOO HOO! 

I was especially nervous about going because it was the first time I've gone to a doctor on post instead of a private practice physician. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit, as well as my doctor. He was extremely knowledgeable [and patient!] with all of the questions I had for him and listened to my concerns about my current birth control. He got me switched over to a new pill [Ortho-Novum/Brevicon.. I was on Levora] and I'm looking forward to seeing how I like it. 

All in all it was pretty quick and fabulous visit!

10 comments:

Steph said...

I've never heard anyone this excited over the lady appointment and birth control. Haha!

And the best part... the word verification that just showed up is "undies."

The Mrs. in Stilettos said...

I am going to use this information for my advantage! I HATE getting poked and prodded and would LOVE to only have to deal with it once every TWO years! I will be 27 this year so I should benefit from this at this point lol.... it's the least they can do for me getting older lol!

Samantha said...

when I read your title I was thinkin, "you don't have to go every year...." Happy the doc gave you the new and improved discount. =)

gv said...

I LOATH the girl doctor! They don't offer the good driver discount here...boo!!! Glad it went well for you though.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I found this out on my last visit! I was so excited you would have thought it was Christmas morning!

lmc said...

That is my least favorite appoinment! Hopefully next time I go, I can get the "good driver discount"!

hmb said...

What a success!! Thanks for sharing!

Megan said...

When I first heard of this, I was thrilled but earlier this year my mother was diagnosed with uterine cancer. So now I worry about what would happen if something showed up on an off year. In England NHS offers a pap once every three years. It's scary to think that something like that could go undetected for so long.

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

I've heard that as well (actually, my doc told me only once every 3 years). That's fine by me, ha ha!

Random Musings said...

I told my Dr I had read this and she said its a bad idea.. Well for me anyways because of the lady bits cancer that runs in my family... So I still have to go EVERY 6 months... akk it sucks