17 September 2010

a pillow explosion

Apparently the pillows on my sofa are like gremlins. You toss a little water on them and the multiply by the hundreds. Ok, well maybe not that much, but I've gone from one pillow with a slightly goofed up zipper to a total of four (three new ones and the original one with a fixed zipper)! Yay!

I PROMISE this will not become a sewing blog. I'm just kind of really proud of what I've made!

I figured out how to put a corner in over the zipper so that one pillow edge isn't just a huge long zipper!

to do it, I sewed the zipper in (the lump under the pin), I pinned the sides of the zipper together so that I could sew over it while keeping all of it together.

Then I turned the pillow 90 degrees and sewed towards the edge. When you turn it inside out, it creates a new corner that hides the messy ends of the zipper!

After successfully doing the zipper on the second striped pillow, I went back and fixed the zipper on the first one that I blogged about. 

And then I made the other paisley pillows! 

I still have the green fabric to make two more pillows, and I'm thinking about trying to do a little cord of fabric around the edges of it using some of the scraps of paisley print to tie it all together a little bit more. I'm having some second thoughts about the paisley pillows, so they might go on the sofa in our master bedroom. 

All in all, I've been really pleased with how things have turned out and how much my confidence has grown with the sewing machine. I have a couple of baby items I'm planning to make for my sister-in-law's due-in-December baby boy and another project for a dear friend's little fetus :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be proud of that, too. It looks great!

People like me envy people like you. I have to pay money for my place to look cute.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Those look great! I'm totally jealous of your new found sewing skills!

Erin said...

They look so good!

Steph said...

Those look great!

JG said...

Wow! Go you! I wouldn't have the first idea about making pillows anyway, let aloe with zippers!

Samantha said...

I love your pillows: great job!

gv said...

Great work! When I read this title though, I thought one of your pillows had exploded and it was going to be a picture of stuffing every where!!!

lmc said...

Looks great!

hmb said...

Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Everyone is sewing these days and I am getting so jealous! I need to get a sewing machine:) I love these, so cute!