A couple of days ago I did something nerdy. Nerdy but fabulous.
I signed up at my local library for a library card. Better yet -- they have an online ordering system so I've started my queue. It is like Netflix, but better!
This is a huge thing for me. See, I'm a book snob. I'm the person who would rather buy a book than borrow it so that it can stand proudly on my bookshelf. I'm also the person who refused to read any of the Twilight series on the Metro for fear of revealing it to anyone. To this day, I'm ashamed to [but will] admit I read it and enjoyed it.
This is a huge thing for me. See, I'm a book snob. I'm the person who would rather buy a book than borrow it so that it can stand proudly on my bookshelf. I'm also the person who refused to read any of the Twilight series on the Metro for fear of revealing it to anyone. To this day, I'm ashamed to [but will] admit I read it and enjoyed it.
Since I finished devoured Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on the ride to Atlanta, I've added his two subsequent books to the request list, but I'm pretty far down on the list.
One of the three books I picked up is The Punishment of Virtue: Inside Afghanistan after the Taliban by Sarah Chayes. Based on what I've heard about her, I cannot wait to read this.
from Amazon
I also have Sam Harris' Letter to a Christian Nation and Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely as an audiobook already in my car. Last but not least, for some light and fun reading, I picked up The Other Boleyn Girl.
After looking over this list, I realize I have a lot of reading to do in the coming days!
One of the books I've requested is Ahmed Rashid's Descent into Chaos: the United States and the Failure of Nation Building in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Central Asia. Hopefully it will be in soon-ish. I've added a couple of available books to a "list" on the library's website -- they aren't requested, but are quickly available when I'm ready. They include my follow-up audiobook In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto [I freaking L-O-V-E-D The Omnivore's Dilemma] and Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime. To ease things up a bit, I've also added How to be an American Housewife in there too. :)
After looking over this list, I realize I have a lot of reading to do in the coming days!
One of the books I've requested is Ahmed Rashid's Descent into Chaos: the United States and the Failure of Nation Building in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Central Asia. Hopefully it will be in soon-ish. I've added a couple of available books to a "list" on the library's website -- they aren't requested, but are quickly available when I'm ready. They include my follow-up audiobook In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto [I freaking L-O-V-E-D The Omnivore's Dilemma] and Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime. To ease things up a bit, I've also added How to be an American Housewife in there too. :)
Last but not least, I have a much-belated menu for this week!
Monday: spicy sausage and beef ravioli with side salad
Tuesday: chicken Caesar salad
Wednesday: Rosemary Chicken with Zucchini
Thursday: dinner with friends over here -- PW's pot roast + red velvet cupcakes for dessert!
Friday: leftovers
Saturday: dinner out
Sunday: spaghetti and meatballs with salad









9 comments:
I've been wanting to read Stieg Larsson's series, but before I could start, Scott brought home the movie of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Since you have read the book, I recommend the movie. It's got subtitles, so don't watch it when you are tired and don't want to read. But, we both really enjoyed it!
Keep me up to date on the politics books. They sound good, but I'm always a little weary of reading them before my peers. You have me set on reading The Omnivore's Dilemma now!
I recommend "Lipstick Jihad" by Azadeh Moaveni. It was a great read.
YAY! for Red Velvet Cupcakes... can't wait to hear your baking stories!! =)
The Other Boleyn Girl is pretty good- much better than the movie as per usual.
Last weekend, I wanted to crawl into a hole when I boarded an informative bus tour with Stephanie Meyer's The Host in hand. The bus driver announced that I was reading "those vampire books" and instead of correcting him that it was, in fact, about aliens (thank you very much), I just sat down feeling shameful. Ha.
I'm the same way- I love having lots of books on my shelves. I have quite a few that are on my to-read list...I need to get on that!
"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" is on my list- can't wait to read it!
Enjoy all your reading! Can't wait to see how your cupcakes turn out.
I have a library card too, but I need to follow your example and actually *READ*. I definitely spend too much time on the computer and doing other things... need to carve out some downtime for books! I will have to look into some of those titles for my to-read list!
Jealous!! The library here is about the size of my living room!
I love the books like netflix idea. That's awesome.
And your list of books that you're reading sounds incredible, and I look forward to hearing how they actually are. I need to do some heavier reading (Cosmo and Food Network magazine have been my staples the last couple months).
Post a Comment