Since we are leaving, I feel ok about being completely open about where we are leaving -- Fort Drum.
When I found out that we had orders here, I won't lie, I was completely disappointed. We would be far from home. Far from friends. At a post that supposedly has nothing to do and nothing to see.
I don't think things could be farther from the truth.
Granted, our winter this year was supposedly mild, but I have loved being here for so many reasons.
The summer weather has been amazing.
There are goofy animals -- I think ground hogs that my husband calls ground squirrels -- that run around all over post.
Ground Squirrel we spotted on our way to dinner one evening
While on the topic of goofy animals -- where else can you enjoy running on the treadmill at Magrath and watch deer and wild turkeys wander by?
I have made several amazing friends here -- a handful through blogging and others through my husband or frequenting the gym -- and will dearly miss them all.
There are so many things to see and do here or in the surrounding areas. Niagara, Lake Placid, many other smaller towns with fabulous food and quaint shops.
The local people here are incredibly nice. They are generally supportive of the military community, and with so much of the community revolving around the post, you'll frequently see yellow ribbons, flags and other signs of support that warm your heart.
the sign of remembrance painted onto the side of a business on the way into town that always gives me chills
As for food, I definitely miss some of the big chain restaurants [Outback, Olive Garden, Tijuana Flats, Chili's -- I'm looking at you], I've enjoyed local places like Cavallario's and Maggie's [on the Black River]. Tin Pan Galley in Sacket's Harbor deserves special mention. It is our favorite brunch place, but their lunch isn't something to dismiss either!
I'm not sure if I had such low expectations when we arrived here that I've just been pleasantly surprised or what. I do my best to make the most of any and all situations I'm thrown into, so I could have made it amazing in my eyes on my own. Either way, I will really miss it here. I'm sad that we'll be missing the gorgeous fall colors that we're rumored to have here. I am excited about our next adventure though and will hold Fort Drum [and thus, the 10th Mountain Division] near and dear to my heart.
I don't think things could be farther from the truth.
Granted, our winter this year was supposedly mild, but I have loved being here for so many reasons.
The summer weather has been amazing.
There are goofy animals -- I think ground hogs that my husband calls ground squirrels -- that run around all over post.
Ground Squirrel we spotted on our way to dinner one evening
While on the topic of goofy animals -- where else can you enjoy running on the treadmill at Magrath and watch deer and wild turkeys wander by?
I have made several amazing friends here -- a handful through blogging and others through my husband or frequenting the gym -- and will dearly miss them all.
There are so many things to see and do here or in the surrounding areas. Niagara, Lake Placid, many other smaller towns with fabulous food and quaint shops.
The local people here are incredibly nice. They are generally supportive of the military community, and with so much of the community revolving around the post, you'll frequently see yellow ribbons, flags and other signs of support that warm your heart.
the sign of remembrance painted onto the side of a business on the way into town that always gives me chills
As for food, I definitely miss some of the big chain restaurants [Outback, Olive Garden, Tijuana Flats, Chili's -- I'm looking at you], I've enjoyed local places like Cavallario's and Maggie's [on the Black River]. Tin Pan Galley in Sacket's Harbor deserves special mention. It is our favorite brunch place, but their lunch isn't something to dismiss either!
I'm not sure if I had such low expectations when we arrived here that I've just been pleasantly surprised or what. I do my best to make the most of any and all situations I'm thrown into, so I could have made it amazing in my eyes on my own. Either way, I will really miss it here. I'm sad that we'll be missing the gorgeous fall colors that we're rumored to have here. I am excited about our next adventure though and will hold Fort Drum [and thus, the 10th Mountain Division] near and dear to my heart.








8 comments:
Have a safe trip! I don't know why this town gets such a bad reputation. It has honestly been my favorite place I've ever lived... yes, it beats my hometown! :) Sure, it's small, but you are so close to so many fun things. And, I personally love seeing a "real" winter!
I can't even begin to tell you how heartbroken I am that I'm going to miss my favorite season up here. I've always wanted to see a fall this far north. Guess I'll just have to wait a little longer!
Scott and I always joke about opening up one of the many delicious chain restaurants this place lacks... like a chickfila... so we can settle down here for good! :) I enjoyed getting to know you and will miss you!
I think we all just let people get to us before we even got here. We had always heard that the two places you never want to get are Drum and Polk. But once I got here and made myself busy, it's not been bad at all.
When we found out we were stationed there I was so upset. I never wanted to go there. But as it turns out, there are things I miss about the North Country. It always had a homey feel to me.
I've actually heard a lot of good things about it lately. When D first commissioned we did everything in our power to not go there and now things would probably be different. I've heard enough people say that the love it there that we'd be willing to try it for a while!
I hope you like your next place!! I went to school at Oswego for a little while so I spent some time at Drum. Upstate NY is way too cold for me to stay longer that 18 years haha
I'm sure the Drum will miss your presence too! :-) I hope your new post will be just as special to you.
Goodbyes are always hard =(. I hope things go as well for you at the next post.
That sign is way cool. Thanks for sharing it!
Glad you discovered Tin Pan and Sackets while you were there or you would of TOTALLY MISSED OUT on the best breakfast EVER!!! I am actually moving back up in two days and that is one of the first things I want to do! Good luck with your move!
Post a Comment