31 August 2010

Boleyns and Tudors, oh my!

Last week I posted about some of the books I picked up at the library with my shiny new library card. I picked up The Other Boleyn Girl and sped through it. 

It was fabulous and slightly trashy. Considering that I usually attempt to stick with more intelligent fare, my husband kept looking over at me and cracking up hysterically at me nose-deep in a "scandalous romance novel."

Well, when I finished it up I decided I didn't have quite enough of the Tudor reign. I cannot remember for the life of me who had suggested The Tudors to me, but I turned this past weekend into a giant Tudors marathon, streamed directly from Netflix on the Wii.

If I thought the book was slightly trashy, then the show.. well. Oh my.

[does anyone else find the inclusion of his nipple in the poster to be slightly hilarious?]

Let's just say that despite how racy the show is, I've loved it. I won't lie though, I have gotten a little frustrated with the inaccuracies in the show, but then again, Showtime didn't exactly say they were going for historical accuracy. We've lined up the rest of the discs from seasons 3 and [eventually] 4 on Netflix. I can't wait.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I never noticed his nipple! Now that you pointed it out, it's all I can stare at! I can't help but think it looks awkward and out of place.

Megan said...

LOVE the show!

I love reading historical fiction, and anything that deals with the Tudor period of England. Seriously, I giggle like a middle schooler while reading some of this stuff...hysterical!

Herding Chaos said...

It does seem a little out of proportion for where you would think his nipple would be.

I know Katie talked about the Tudors a lot and that's who I heard about it from.

Can't wait for our skype date this afternoon!

CLR said...

LOVE the Tudors! Books and shows. Yes, trashy, but I can't help it. Occasionally I intersperse some non-fiction about that period, and I feel like that balances it out :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I loved the book. I also loved the Natalie Portman movie but the show....LOVE! I haven't seen season 3 or 4 yet.

gv said...

Did hubs enjoy the show?

Abbie said...

Ooooh girl! I am OBSESSED with that show! My sister and I always watch it together and since we were both history majors we sit and shout at the tv when something historically inaccurate happens. We're frickin dorks with no lives, clearly.

Glad you hopped aboard the bandwagon!

Emily B said...

Hey I saw the movie "The Other Boleyn Girl", but haven't yet read the book. BUT you should read "The Queen's Fool" and "The Virgen's Lover" in that order :) They are both by Philippa Gregory, both are so good, and both have that same "slightly trashy" quality! My husband gave me the same looks especially with the title of the second one!