17 August 2010

things I didn't realize I missed about the south

I grew up and lived in the wacky fabulous state of Florida for 24 years. Now, I won't try to tell you that Florida is the south [unless we're talking north Florida here]. It isn't. It's a bunch of northerners that have moved south. 

However, there are things that I've come to expect where ever I live.

Like Publix.

Or Chik-Fil-A. 

If my year in Virginia/DC was a slight shock to the system [no Publix, few and far between Chik-Fil-A action], then moving to Fort Drum was being put in the electric chair -- the names Publix and Chik-Fil-A seemed to make people scratch their heads and wonder what I was talking about.

But this isn't about that. This is about what I didn't realize I missed. 

Like gun racks... no, not on your car, but on your ATV that you are trailering. It's hard to see, but it is there! I also missed the rednecks that go with them.

Die-hard so-crazy-it-makes-your-head-spin college football fans. I tried to explain it when reviewing Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer, but until you've truly experienced it lived, breathed, died, cried over a team, you just won't get it. We're talking about people coming to work wearing their finest Georgia Bulldogs polos. Our mover having his truck painted and bedazzled with LSU paraphernalia. 

Even though my Florida fandom makes me loathe these people with every fiber of my being [mainly just on Saturdays in the fall], I still want to run up to them and hug them because they understand the madness. In the north they just kind of look at you and wonder.

There are a couple of things that I do not miss about the south [disgusting burst-into-a-sweaty-hot-mess heat, I'm looking at you], but in an attempt to keep this lighthearted, I'll avoid that list. I'm sure there is more that I will realize that I missed once I've been here for more than, hrmm, 4 days.

With that said, I'm signing off for the day -- we're almost done unpacking. Come back tomorrow for an exciting announcement that I have to make jointly with Samantha the Army Wife!

14 comments:

d.a.r. said...

I agree--my orange and blue blood makes me want to kick UGA fans, but in all honesty I just miss SEC football fans!! I am permanently stuck in Big 12 Hell where they have no idea what a real tailgate is, that in REAL football the college town completely shuts down making it impossible to go anywhere on game day, what it is like to literally live and die by rankings and how to pack a stadium. I didn't realize that you could actually get tickets game day from anyone but a scalper in the parking lot until I went to a Big 12 game, haha!

Kate said...

I'm a born and bred north-easterner who went to college in DC, so this Southern stuff is new to me! I keep meaning to do a post of the "Southern" things that I've noticed.

Have yet to try Chik-Fil-A, guess I should do that!

Have shopped at Publix - I agree from my limited experience that it's pretty excellent!

And yeah. I don't understand the football thing. *shrug*

Aubrey S. said...

I can't wait until football season. Just a few more weeks!

navynest said...

We just recently PCS'd to Texas from Maine. And I just experienced Chik-Fil-A for the first time. Best chicken tenders I've ever had!

J.L.S. said...

Oh Chick-fil-a... I can't wait to try the spicy chicken sandwich. And you better believe we will be stopping at the first one we see on the road back south!

And, I love Hannaford (especially compared to the horrible HEB I had to shop at in TX), but I just can't wait to step foot in the glorious Publix (and Fresh Market) once again! Um, the apples at Fresh Market are amazing, btw! :)

I must say that I am dreading moving back to the south while it is still summer. But, thankfully I will only have to deal with the horrendous heat for a couple of months rather than 6ish months!

I'm glad you and I are both going through this transition together! It's nice having someone who understands my mixed feelings! :)

Anonymous said...

Our PCS works out so that I get to be in Tuscaloosa for Bama's opening weekend.

As an SEC college football fan, I know you understand how FREAKING STOKED I am. And you're right... 6 days a week, the "sane" ones are friends. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Chick-fil-a....I can't wait to eat there once we move back to the South in a few months! I also can't wait to get some good BBQ again.

I'm stoked that we will be back in SEC country for the last half of the college football season! We went to a Seattle Seahawks game a few days ago, and I sat there thinking these people have no clue what "real" football is!

Anonymous said...

We're at Fort Polk and all you see is LSU crap. Back in PA we were die-hard sports fans.

lmc said...

There is nothing better than SEC football!! Can't wait for it to start again!

And Publix...I'd be lost without you!

gv said...

Know what I miss about the South? (I lived in SC for about a year and half back in 2004-2005) Zaxby's, sweet tea and tailgating!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Chick-Fil-A is amazing! When I moved there wasn't one close to me and I almost cried!

Samantha said...

Dude, No Chik-fil-a?? Whaaa? That's insane. Welcome back to the 'real world' haaa!

Brittany Ann said...

Oh, true true. No one understands the craziness of the SEC unless they are a member of it. I've tried to explain it the Navy wives and only the Southerners nod and smile along!

Angie said...

I followed your blog for the cupcake club and saw this and have to tell you I completely agree with you!!! And ask where are you from? I was born and raised around Ft Myers until I went to live with my mom in GA in high school and then went on to UGA. And I'm totally counting down the days until kickoff Lol