06 July 2010

adventures in veggieness

My aforementioned week-long cheeseless misery fest experiment with vegetarianism [as part of my 101 in 1001] begins today. It took quite a bit of time, but I've found some recipes that I am excited about.

I think the biggest challenge thus far was actually finding the recipes. Judging from my search results for "vegetarian recipes," I guess cutting out milk, cheese and eggs is more extreme than what is commonly considered vegetarian. For a moment I considered backing out and saying, to hell with it, I'll eat dairy. It certainly would make my life easier. I've decided to stick with the original plan though.

Well, this is what I've come up with thus far:

Tuesday: quick + easy potato soup [lunch], veggie stir-fry with couscous [dinner] 
Wednesday: leftover potato soup [lunch], teriyaki tofu [dinner, Biggest Loser Cookbook]
Thursday: leftover tofu [lunch], corn chowder soup [with a veggie substitute for cream, should be interesting]
Friday: squadron steering meeting [eek! veggies, fruit, salad for lunch?], veggie shepherd's pie [dinner]
Saturday: leftover corn chowder [lunch], veggie shepherd's pie leftovers [dinner]
Sunday: salad [lunch], perfect baked tofu + veggies [dinner]
Monday: leftover tofu [lunch], spaghetti with garlic + red pepper sauce [dinner]

Hopefully this all turns out well, but knowing that it's my first adventure with some items, it could get interesting!

7 comments:

J.L.S. said...

Oh goodness! Good luck! I think I could easily give up meat for a week (in fact I rarely ate it when I was at school), but cheese would be really hard for me. I don't really drink milk... I hate the taste of it. And I have always been scared of tofu. I don't think I would like the consistency very much! Let me know how it goes!

Can't wait for a potluck... with meat and cheese! :)

Kaylee said...

Good luck!! I've gone through my vegetarian stages, but never given up all dairy before! It'll be a week of adventure, that's for sure!

gv said...

Good luck! I think I could do the veggie thing but not so much the no dairy.

The Mrs. in Stilettos said...

GOOD LUCK! You are a better woman than I for doing this! I love my meat way way too much! I know you'll do great! Keep us posted on how the recipes go!

Christy said...

I think this is a great idea!! I can't wait to read how it went!

P.S. I've been a little out of the blogging thing for a while & so just realized you started blogging again - yay!! So glad you are back!!

Brittany Ann said...

You're my hero! No cheese? God bless! Good luck! If anybody can do it, you can!

Amy said...

Sounds good! I rarely eat meat and we rarely have cheese in the house...now that I think about it, I'm not sure what I eat. :)