08 July 2010

operation veggie & master of construction

I have completed two days of Operation Veggie and it has been surprisingly fabulous. The meals that I've made have been really tasty [dare I say drool-worthy?], light and healthy. To be completely honest, I haven't really even missed cheese, which is shocking to me. 

Sure, when I open the fridge and see the cheese and look at the delish potato soup I've made [recipe below!], I think "oh man, this could be that much better..", but when I go through my day I'm not thinking about all of the food+cheese opportunities I'm missing out on!

The only frustration I've had came yesterday afternoon. I met up with S and J for coffee on post before J hits the road for a well-deserved vacation. The coffee place we went to didn't have soymilk, so I had to enjoy a water instead of an iced coffee [after a 3.6 mile run and our town being engulfed in a massive heat wave, iced coffee would just about hit the spot perfectly!]. In retrospect, sticking to the plan ended up saving me from a "few" extra calories and some less-than-stellar choices and for that I'm grateful.

Without further ado, the amazingly delish Quick + Easy Potato Soup from Angela at Oh She Glows that I made some modifications to [in BOLD]:

3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cubed and boiled for 15 min
1 small white onion
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 tsp rosemary
salt to taste
1 cup unsweetened soymilk [I used my vanilla Silk soymilk.. and I used 1 cup instead of 1.5]
chili powder to taste [I used a lot!]

Chop the onion and saute it until soft in a medium-sized pan. Add 2/3 of the pre-boiled/cubed potatoes to the pan along with broth, rosemary and salt. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Pour into blender [hello, Magic Bullet!] along with soymilk and blend until smooth. Return to pan, add remaining potatoes, and cook, stirring often, over low heat until hot. Serves 2 meal-sized portions.

Fabulous. No cream, yet deliciously creamy. MM.

---

On a completely random note, a couple of days ago our media stand/console was delivered. I have a weird obsession love of putting things together. I am proud to say that I assembled the entire stand by myself and only called on a couple of our buddies to help with moving the TV onto it and discarding the box it came in! 

The finished product:

With nine pieces and 30+ bolts and screws, I'd say I'm pretty handy!

8 comments:

d.a.r. said...

It sounds like you are doing great on the veggie train! And I love your media stand, it's gorgeous!

Unknown said...

I too love putting stuff together!! I makes me feel like I'm really building something...without all that sawing and measuring. Your media stand looks beautiful!

Lisa said...

Nice work on the media stand! I think it's awesome that you're going veggie. I couldn't give up meat and cheese, I love them too much!

lmc said...

I love the media stand!

JG said...

Nice job! I have NO skills when it comes to putting furniture together. :)

gv said...

I'm very impressed with your dedication...I would have totally folded for an iced coffee! Media stand looks fabulous.

Brittany Ann said...

Good work! I'm always intimidated to put all that together!

Marissa said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe and...AWESOMe on putting that together!! Mad props :)

You might know someone coming home at the same time as my hubs...I know a lot of LTs are coming in at about the same time :)