Dearest bloggy-friends,
As you all know, we have a move coming up next month. I'm trying not to flip out [my PMS isn't helping right now!] and get frustrated with it. This isn't our first move, but our move up here was a bit bizarre [I moved separately and his parents mediated the packing end of things -- hubby just received everything] and I need some advice.
We're going to have the Army move us, but we will be packing essentials into our vehicles. I have a tentative list started, but would love some input on anything I'm leaving off.
The list so far:
- air mattress, sheets, pillows [2], blanket
- shower curtain+rod, towels [2], soap, toiletries
- 1 pot and 1 pan, plates and utensils [2 each], cleaning supplies
- important documents [orders, all Army docs, Social Security cards, passports]
- clothes + running gear for me [cannot miss my long runs with training!]
- camera gear [I refuse to leave my dslr in the care of the movers]
Is there anything glaringly obvious that I'm missing? Any brilliant ideas you've come across in your many moves?
Many, many thanks!








13 comments:
I suggest bringing your jewelry with you and also any insurance documents pertaining to valuable items. I also high recommend bringing wine glasses and a corkscrew. :)
Karen
I wish I could help, but my first Army move was really bizarre as well. We met our stuff in Greenville before we left to come up here and we got to pick and choose which stuff we brought up the first trip. But, it sounds like you have the major stuff. They will obviously leave behind the cleaning supplies and candles and such. I would make sure to take pictures out of picture frames and if you have a really special piece of art or picture or whatever and it would be hard to replace, I would think about bringing that.
I don't want to scare you, but when the movers picked up our stuff in TX, we had them pack up a really special picture/plaque deal that Scott's Co. gave him when he left Korea and the movers ran over it with the 18-wheeler. Thankfully there was another picture frame in the same box and it was the one that was broken and the plaque wasn't hurt at all. But, just something to think about.
Laptop and some movies for the first few nights without a TV!
Maybe even some laundry detergent in case you need to make a stop at a laundry mat for stinky running clothes?
Also, if you have time, would you mind doing a post about your dslr, what you love about it, why you chose it, etc.? I am currently shopping for one and don't really know where to begin!
You didn't mention toiletries so I'm guess that's a given. :) I would also add to the list something to keep you entertained in case you don't have your TV for awhile. Book and whatnot.
this guy once told me that he and his wife drove cross country a bunch of times and the best thing they ever did was to buy those cheap plastic drawers so when you're staying in hotels and stuff you can just have the drawers in your trunk or the back seat and that way there you dont have to pack/unpack everything a million times... just a thought for the actual ride :)
Also pack some directions to MY HOUSE! Because you guys are obviously coming over esp if im by myself :D
I know you said your camera...I took that on my own as well as all of my actual photos. Especially the ones from before the digital times...No way I was going to let them lose all of my precious memories :)
Geez I haven't moved in forever (thank goodness!). What about laptop/comp? Also, what about curtains? Don't want to be naked as a jaybird for your neighbors to look in and see!
In the three (I think it's three...it might be more) moves we've done, we always travel with his uniforms. The last thing I need is for us to get to a duty station, and they say, "Oh, by the way, there's a ball next week" or "We are going to the field next week." I'm not paying to buy new uniforms. It's happened to a friend, and I would have flipped out if I had to shell out $500+ for new blues just for a ball. At a minimum take a pair of ACUs so he can in process at the duty station if your HHGs don't arrive in time.
Also, your car is considered a partial DITY...so weigh it full and empty so you can get paid for moving the stuff in your car.
And I second the request for a post about your dslr! :)
I was also going to add laptop/computers. Tools and duct tape would also be on my list. Make sure you bring shower curtain rings. I spent 2 days cursing those stupid things before I bought new ones (and then found the old ones).
It sounds obvious but cell phone chargers, laptop chargers, camera battery chargers-- not the things you want to look for when they're needed!
I haven't been moved by the Army, but I've moved apartments nine times in the past seven years. I look forward to when the Army will do it all for us!
Be sure to carry anything irreplaceable with you! Heirlooms (that will fit in the car) and keepsakes, photo albums, stuff like that. If it's something unique, it's best just to take it yourself.
And make sure you have your OWN insurance for everything. Don't rely on the mover's liability insurance. Companies like State Farm will give you a good deal on electronics worth over $500 (for example, my camera body and each of my lenses are insured individually in case anything happens. Obviously, I carry those when we move, but it's still a good idea). It's only $5 a month at SF so you might want to look into it.
iPod and a Book! Along with a first aid kit!
For our first PCS we used the professional movers and I never regretted it! Everyone else has given you some great advice! Our company did, in fact, pack candles. They didn't, however, pack any aerosols, cleaning products, or light bulbs.
Whoever said wine glasses and a corkscrew? I want you as my new best friend! I wish we would have done that! Then again, our HHGs came the afternoon we got there.
honestly it depends upon where you are going. if you think you will find a house quickly i would not pack the air mattress. the army gives you 10 days free.
Post a Comment