30 July 2010

our trip, narrated by our dogs

For a good portion of our road trip, S and I spent our time narrating the thought bubbles that we wish we could see above our respective dogs heads. My dog, Goose, is six years old and has always been a bit of an old soul sort of dog. He enjoys laying around but defending us fiercely from threats [not limited to clearly threatening helium mylar balloons].

So, when S and I paired him up with her puppy counterpart [Avi is S's dog] and they begrudgingly got along, we knew this trip could happen the way we wanted it to! I say begrudgingly because like I said before, Goose wants to chill. Avi wants to play. They both have to deal with their frustrations with each other. When we departed on our trek, this was the scene in the car.

Avi: "Moooooooooommmmmm. Tell the big black dog back there to get off my seat. I can't sleeeeeeeep." [Insert very audible sigh from both Goose and Avi here]

Goose: [SIGH] I'm just going to lay here. In the most uncomfortable position possible. Please take this annoying white dog away or leave him on the side of the road. Pleeeeasseeee? [SIGH]

Avi [snuggling up to Goose]: Seeeee? We can totally be BFFs! For EVER! 
Goose: [SIGH]

Goose: "Mom. There are no words." [Please note the Avi fur on Goose, hahah]
Avi: [sigh]


DAY 2
Avi and Goose: "yaaaaaay! Hiking!!!"

Avi and Goose: "oooh, let's check out what is over here!!"

Goose: "mom, you're embarassing meee"

Goose: "omg! Water. Water. W-A-T-E-R. I don't know if I should drink it or lay in it! Mmm. Lay in it."
[This was all running water. I did my best to not let him drink any of the standing water.]

Goose: "omg.. no. No, no no... not lay in it... drink it. Drink it! D-R-I-N-K--I-T!!!"

Goose: "I am water wasted."

Goose and Avi, about 30 mins into our car ride post-hike on our way to Maine: "zzzzzzzzzzzz"

Last but not least, on our way home yesterday..

Goose: "ok, Avi. We can be BFFs. Just scooch a little closer this way. Mmm yes. BFFs and my pillow."

14 comments:

J.L.S. said...

Hahaha I loved this. And, Nani lays in that same awkward incredibly uncomfortable looking position. She is also sighs all.the.time. Scott and I definitely love narrating her life! :)

hmb said...

LOL what a mess! Aww Goose and Avi are the cutest....

Anonymous said...

aww, they are so cute! This was such a funny post:)

d.a.r. said...

OMG I freaking love this so much. Looks like everyone ended up happy and tired!

Katherine Klegin said...

SO CUTE!!!! Wait. did y'all get another dog? I don't think I've ever met Avi before...

Please come back to VA so Tater and Goose can be BFF's for real.

Katie said...

hahaha cute post! The pups are so cute!

Cole said...

When did you get Avi? I completely missed that!

I'm glad they are getting along so well!

Steph said...

That last picture is so cute! It was kinda the same situation when we got the puppy. Our older dog likes to chill, the puppy is nuts, but now they are BFFs.

Samantha said...

that's hilarious and adorable all at the same time. :)

lmc said...

hahaha, this is adorable!!

Amber said...

What gorgeous pups! I love it when our boxers sleep on each other like that. It's just so sweet and melts my heart!

This American Wife said...

Cute! I love when Abby sighs. Its like she has the hardest life in the world or something. lol. We spend a great portion of our time narrating her life as well.

gv said...

OMG! Love this post, that last picture melts my heart. Glad everyone had a good trip.

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

I am a puppy lover! SO sweet -- thanks for stopping by my blog!