24 July 2010

cardboard box for two, please?

The past few days have been ridiculously crazy and I apologize for essentially running away and not saying anything about it!

Hubs and I are moving to Georgia next month. In about two and a half weeks the movers will pick up all of our stuff. At that point, we'll be leaving as soon as hubby can clear post.

With him at JRTC, the house hunting portion of things fell on my plate -- but have no fear -- I have managed to have some fun. 

Tuesday night, I stayed with my friend S, who lives closer to the "local" airport because she graciously offered to wake up at o-dark-thirty 4 am and drive me in.

I arrived home Wednesday afternoon, my mom picked me up and we made the drive to our new post. We chatted, gossiped and enjoyed a hilarious yet slightly trashy book on tape -- Janet Evanovich's Rocky Road to Romance. Hah. We stayed with our good friends who have been at this post for many years. The hubs in their family was my hubby's best man. We love them.

House hunting [for rent, not purchase!] began at 8:30am on Thursday and concluded at 9:30pm that evening. I was angry, cranky, frustrated. 

In short, I was considering living in a cardboard box [with a window-A/C unit -- it is Georgia!] at the end of their driveway. 

There were cute houses, but in the middle of a crack den bad areas. There were ugly houses in fabulous neighborhoods. There were lime green walls. There was a house with no refrigerator. A house with a random punching bag left on the back porch. Bad trim. Rape [or meth, pick your poison] sheds out in the back yard. 

See why I wanted the cardboard box!?

I picked myself up on Friday and was determined to hit the road on a positive note. Mom and I fueled up at Dunkin Donuts [egg white veggie flatbread, anyone?] and looked at a few places and immediately crossed them off. Sigh. 

One house that we hadn't yet visited was promising. We were waiting to hear whether or not they allowed dogs. They did. 

It is close to post [my concern] and yet not in a "demilitarized + unsafe area" [hubs]. The house is two years old. No backyard fence, but that's ok considering everything else about the house is perfect for us. We'll hear back on Monday as to whether or not we get it. Here's hoping.

For now, I'll be at the beach for a couple of days with my parents. I think it's the first time I've been to the beach in almost a year and it is strange to realize that since I'm a Floridian by birth. I'll enjoy my time here before heading back "home" and getting ready for another little adventure. More on that to come!

[Also, thank you for all of the comments and love for Fizz, Tuna, Face and Tank. I think it is a tragedy for any servicemember's sacrifice to be forgotten.]

13 comments:

hmb said...

I WANT girl time before you head out!

lmc said...

Enjoy the beach!! :)

Unknown said...

Hope you enjoy it here in Georgia! From the sounds of it though, you didn't get off on a very good foot with it:p Not mine or my husbands most favorite place either!

Beth said...

I hope you guys get the house! It can be really frustrating to find something that has all the aspects of what you need (i.e. not located in a crack den).

Have fun at the beach!

Megan said...

Househunting really is no fun...here's hoping that you get the house? Just curious, how long do you plan to be in GA?

trooppetrie said...

your not moving to bragg are you. when we looked on line we saw a ton of houses. then we moved here and they were in crack city or they did not allow dogs. we did finally find a house to rent. we own a house in KY so i did not want to buy another one

gv said...

This post was funny, I love how you describe the houses/area. When I was house hunting, it became a joke...if someone said "Oh that's a cute house" then I'd respond with "well then it's out of my price range!" Good luck girl!

ABW said...

Enjoy your time at the beach!

I hear you on the moving madness too!

Brittany Ann said...

Where are you being stationed in Georgia? My brother - who's Navy - is being stationed in Georgia on the Army-Navy-AF-Marine base in Augusta.

Anonymous said...

I totally understand the house hunting frustration. We just got done apartment hunting, and I was sooo stressed/cranky afterwards. But Georgia is beautiful!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I'll be crossing my fingers for you, that you guys get the house!

Anonymous said...

*fingers crossed* we'll be so close!

Steph said...

Good luck finding a place for you two. I bet you are super excited to move back to the south.